In 1933, the Madras Legislature passed a special act, which empowered the Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams (TTD) Committee to control and administer a fixed group of temples in the Tirumala-Tirupati area, through a Commissioner appointed by the Government of Madras. This committee was assisted by a Religious Advisory Council for religious matters and a Ryots Advisory Council for the management of TTD's estates. In 1951, the Act of 1933 was replaced by an enactment whereby the administration of TTD was entrusted to a Board of Trustees, and an Executive Officer was appointed by the Government . The provisions of the Act of 1951 were retained by Charitable and Religious Endowments Act, 1966.
Today, TTD is a conglomeration of temples, brought under the First Schedule 2 of the Act 30 of 1987. The Board of Trustees is constituted by members appointed by the government. The Executive Officer is the chief executive of TTD. He is assisted by two Joint Executive Officers, Chief Vigilance and Security Officer, Conservator of Forests, Financial Advisor and Chief Accounts Officer and Chief Engineer. Besides, there are officials to look after the different branches of administration. TTD maintains 12 temples and their sub-shrines, and employs about 14,000 persons.